Overlooking the River Plym, in a rolling green landscape park in Plympton on the outskirts of Plymouth lies Saltram House.
Once home to the Parker family from 1743 when their previous mansion was remodelled to show their increasing wealth and prominence in the community, the property is now managed and run by the National Trust. The interior features exquisite Chinese wallpapers, an exceptional collection of paintings (several by Sir Joshua Reynolds) as well as a country house library and Neo-Classical saloon.
The garden is mostly 19th century, with a working 18th-century orangery and follies, beautiful shrubberies and imposing specimen trees providing year-round interest.
The grounds of Saltram hold a plethora of woodland walks to be enjoyed, with views of the estuary and saltmarshes as well as fields of bluebells and
As with many National Trust properties, there is a wonderful Park Café serving refreshing hot and cold treats, as well as a beautifully stocked shop.